Setup and Install Portainer on Synology NAS

Currently reading
Setup and Install Portainer on Synology NAS

The Synology Docker UI is nice but lacks some functionality such as Stacks, Templates and other useful things that can make managing your containers a lot easier. Portainer will run seamlessly along side the Synology Docker UI.

First make a folder on your Synology to hold the portainer data and
make sure you change the path /volume1/docker/portainer in the example to match yours.

Continue reading...

1 question here. For what do you use also port 8000 in portainer?
From the Portainer website:

With version 1.22.0, Portainer now requires two tcp ports to be exposed; 9000, and 8000. 9000 has historically been the port we served the UI from as well as the Portainer API, but now we have extended the API so that the remote agents can poll for instructions. Port 8000 is a SSH tunnel server and is used to create a secure tunnel between the agent and the Portainer instance.

well done @Geeked
you did perfect job with all posted threads!
great and thx for such contribution to share knowledge
Thanks. I used the ssh method because there are a lot of people who don’t know how to bind the docker sock using the Synology docker UI. Glad I could help!

I stumbled into updating images with this (except the Portainer image, hahaha). So nice. Now if I only understood all the new container configuration options..
For me it's like Photoshop. I've been using it for 20 years yet I still learn new things about it all the time. The best part is you're in a great place where you can learn much faster!

The Synology Docker UI is nice but lacks some functionality such as Stacks, Templates and other useful things that can make managing your containers a lot easier. Portainer will run seamlessly along side the Synology Docker UI.

First make a folder on your Synology to hold the portainer data and
make sure you change the path /volume1/docker/portainer in the example to match yours.

Continue reading...
Thank you and all who contributed. This made installing Portainer so simple!

Last edited:
Started getting this...

exmbUy7.png

oeeQUky.png

What's up with that?

So I deleted the container and the config files and started fresh. Looks fine now. What happened?

Last edited:
Started getting this...

exmbUy7.png

oeeQUky.png

What's up with that?

So I deleted the container and the config files and started fresh. Looks fine now. What happened?
This usually means your IP changed. Because that’s what the endpoint is. Let me know if you need any further help with it. Or you can change the endpoint back to 0.0.0.0, local host or 127.0.0.1. Maybe even the domain of your nas so you don’t have to use the IP if it changes.

I should have explained a bit more. Endpoint isn’t exactly the IP. The endpoint is where Portainer is told your containers are hosted. It should be the IP of your NAS in this case. 👍🏻
I'm not a docker expert and maybe there is something I missed but I have to disagree ...
Seems to me that the endpoint is more of a socket on one docker host allowing to point to the containers which are running on that docker host.
In our case it points to /var/run/docker.sock which is mapped from the NAS and no IP is involved here...
The IP is only necessary if you want to be able to click the the links to the ports so that it opens directly in your browser and only if you are on Bridge Network mode.
Or again maybe there is something I missunderstood.

For the record I used to have the same errors everytime I had to stop/start portainer... Not sure if I still have this issue (it's bee a while since the last time I stopped portainer) but when I had these, all I found was destroying the portainer container and recreate it... I think it might be related to an access issue to /var/run/docker.sock but I'm not sure.

I'm not a docker expert and maybe there is something I missed but I have to disagree ...
Seems to me that the endpoint is more of a socket on one docker host allowing to point to the containers which are running on that docker host.
In our case it points to /var/run/docker.sock which is mapped from the NAS and no IP is involved here...
The IP is only necessary if you want to be able to click the the links to the ports so that it opens directly in your browser and only if you are on Bridge Network mode.
Or again maybe there is something I missunderstood.

For the record I used to have the same errors everytime I had to stop/start portainer... Not sure if I still have this issue (it's bee a while since the last time I stopped portainer) but when I had these, all I found was destroying the portainer container and recreate it... I think it might be related to an access issue to /var/run/docker.sock but I'm not sure.
That’s a good point. I was referring within the Portainer interface.

I’m curious if this only happens when the Portainer container is stopped and started again manually within the Synology docker UI. I’ll test it later and see if I can pinpoint the issue.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.