How to set the image matrixdotorg/synapse in Docker on Synology?

Currently reading
How to set the image matrixdotorg/synapse in Docker on Synology?

My bootstrap project realy is just a simple bootstrapper, that at least gets Matrix and Element up and running. Though, it is not maintained anymore b/c I gave up on Matrix - I feel many bridges are too messy and ressource consuming. ...

Actualy the Ansible project is the reason why I spend time to figure out how to run Ansible on the Syno, but I actualy never ran the Ansible playbook, as it had like thousands of settings to configure... I highly recommend to run the Playbook in VDSM first and check for side effects, before running it on metal :)

My bootstrap project realy is just a simple bootstrapper, that at least gets Matrix and Element up and running. Though, it is not maintained anymore b/c I gave up on Matrix - I feel many bridges are too messy and ressource consuming. ...

Actualy the Ansible project is the reason why I spend time to figure out how to run Ansible on the Syno, but I actualy never ran the Ansible playbook, as it had like thousands of settings to configure... I highly recommend to run the Playbook in VDSM first and check for side effects, before running it on metal :)
Recently, I have created a vDSM in my Synology and tried to follow the installation guide of the repository to install matrix in that vDSM virtual machine. After resolving all installation issues encountered due to the difference between Synology and a normal Linux system, all docker containers are up and running in my Synology docker app. However, I can't find a way to access the installed matrix. As I am not familiar with the networking configuration, I am not sure whether there is any misconfigured setting for reverse proxy.
I am a bit confused with the relation between Synology Web Server, and Nginx server, and the reverse proxy configured by the Ansible project. I acquired the Let's Encrypt Cert from Synology GUI and also have some reverse proxy configured in the NAS. I am not sure how to integrate it with the Matrix. Do you have any idea?

Just for your information, I have forked the project and modified the source code a little bit.

Last edited:
tried to follow the installation guide of the repository to install matrix
As in the ansible repo?

Btw. on DSM7 it is possible to use pip3 to install ansible directly. Wasn't working for me on DSM6.2, but does on DSM7. Probably dependencies have been broken in pip3 that prevented me from successfully setting up ansible...

However, I can't find a way to access the installed matrix. As I am not familiar with the networking configuration, I am not sure whether there is any misconfigured setting for reverse proxy.
Since there are many ansible roles are used with the ansible playbook, its hard to tell without analysing things. I am afraid this will require magnitudes of the typical 1-5 minutes to see, asses and act on it.

I am a bit confused with the relation between Synology Web Server, and Nginx server, and the reverse proxy configured by the Ansible project. I acquired the Let's Encrypt Cert from Synology GUI and also have some reverse proxy configured in the NAS. I am not sure how to integrate it with the Matrix.
What do you mean by Synology Web Server? The reverse proxy in DSM uses the same nginx server that the management console uses as well. The "reverse proxy" is nothing else than a dumbed down UI with limited options that generate configurations with directives in nginx that take care of reverse proxy oeprations. You can add you custom reverse proxy roles to the nginx, as described here. Afair, the Syno-RP GUI is not suited to craete the rules you need to run Matrix and Element. You need to find the ansible role inside repo that actualy takes care of creating the nginx configuration and customize its settings.

I never took a closer look after seeing that the group_vars have close to 2000 lines, from which almost all are used to specify configuration settings.

May I suggest to at least try to follow ansible conventions? Leverage the group_vars, they exist for a reason :) Their configuration will be propagated to all roles when you use the parameter to specify the group_vars while running a playbook. There is no reason to hardwire stuff in the roles.

Also I am not sure how well Ansible takes the absence of /etc/lsb-release and /etc/os-release or /usr/lib/os-release, which typical holds the details about the used distribution.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.