Question DS412+ not booting: serial console shows EFI Internal Shell missing boot devices, but EFI partition on internal storage seems intact

Currently reading
Question DS412+ not booting: serial console shows EFI Internal Shell missing boot devices, but EFI partition on internal storage seems intact

Last edited:
Free? Even parts cost money. Pollute the forum? Geez.
I was gonna help you free. If you see my last posts saving $1000 in online fixes here. You're too rude, and disrespectful for me.
Get help elsewhere then.

Sorry if you find me disrespectful.
You give me a solution with no explanation, as I said the DOM is not died: it is still working on linux. How do you explain that?

"Get help elsewhere then" -> sorry but you are not the only one in this forum. Maybe someone else will have better ideas than you to help me. These people is free to answer me here; you do not have to decide who can help me and where I can search for help!

Last edited:
First. If you even said the term DOM. Was from what I posted somewhere here or on another forum and someone in this forum related that here. As nobody knew the name of this module in the world for Synology but me 3 years ago.
Second. I am the only service company in the USA that services Synology NAS's. If there is any other. Or anyone who claims this. They are selling cheap forum fixes. As permanent fixes only I and my partner know those under a NDA with Synology itself.
Third. If I offer to help you. Never take for granted that and how you convey messages. One thing I hate most is someone who flies off the forum with "polluting the forum" or "trying to sell" kind of replies. As nobody even mentioned cost. Even if they said I will help you. Yet even you know. Parts aren't free. And you will even have to buy those parts yourself.
Fourth. If I donate my time away from servicing countless NAS's here. And donating my experience. Its because I was willing to help you. Like others from the past who praised the help they got from me here and on Reddit for saving them 1000's in repairs when they did it themselves.

If a hand is out to help you. Don't bite it before you even had a chance to understand what that person is offering you.

Back to your NAS.

Now forget the bios. It rarely if ever goes bad. Only with DSM7 can that happen. As DSM 7 updates the bios. And can crash.
Especially if the coin cell is out for some reason or dead.
I sent you even some test ideas for your eDOM. The 10 second test.
It don't matter if you can see it in the OS. Or whatever.
It needs to attach to a PC like a thumb drive. As that is what it really is. A thumb drive with 10 pins.
Only 4 pins used. The rest to socket it in. And it has to be read from a PC.
You have to time that reading. It must read the entire drive less than 10secs. Or its bad.
As there is a timing window for boot. If the eDOM doesn't make that window in time.
The NAS will not function correctly.
I also asked what you boot log from the serial port looks like. Not from LAN. As you miss alot.
Neither of those 2 have you done.
And maybe its not the eDOM that is an issue.
But this is part of the process in testing this kind of issue.
Also in all testing. No matter what.
The coin cell battery must remain out.
This only goes back in after you found the problem.
Or it will cause erroneous readings in boot. issues

Hi, ok I won't discuss about your four points; as I don't understand everything. Maybe this is because english is not my native language; sorry.

So, as you said I am trying to understand what you are saying. This is why I am asking more details on how the DOM can be died even if it is working well from linux.

To answer you, I will give you some full logs asap, but I need to disassemble everything (again!). Basically, when it does not work I have no log at all from the serial port (as I previously said). When it works I have the same logs as you will find in the first post of this thread, except that I do not have the "map: Cannot find required map name" message.

By the way, I already wrote in my first post the relevant logs when plugging the DOM:
[ 8.231951] usb 3-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci [ 8.397700] usb 3-1: New USB device found, idVendor=f400, idProduct=f400, bcdDevice= 1.00 [ 8.405901] usb 3-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3 [ 8.413044] usb 3-1: Product: Diskstation [ 8.417065] usb 3-1: Manufacturer: Synology
The DOM is perfectly recognized as a USB2 high speed device. This is not exactly the problem people have in this thread where DOM is recognized as USB1 device (leading to the "map: Cannot find required map name" message), and leading to the USBEST chip replacement.

I also already gave you read speeds in my first post:
root@ds412p:~# hdparm -t /dev/sdb /dev/sdb:Timing buffered disk reads: 28 MB in 3.20 seconds = 8.76 MB/sec
So yes it will take a little bit more than 10s to read the whole memory. But BIOS just has to read grub which is 1MB; it should not take 2 minutes. I will also do more speed tests asap and will let you know.

I do not understand why you say I have to plug the DOM in another computer. I have done all my tests directly from the DS412+. If I cannot boot form the DOM, I boot from an USB flash drive and once linux is booted, I plug the DOM. As I said in this case the DOM is immediately recognized as a USB2 high speed device and it is working well.

I will also try without the cell coin as you suggest. Can you explain me how it can delay the NAS from booting with the DOM and why it works with the flash drive? Does the cell coin as another functionality than RTC battery?

Finally, I will also make some more tests. Apparently, I can have a stable situation with a working DOM with my test setup (only 1 test disk plugged). But as soon as I install my final setup (4 disks), I am having boot problem. This is strange, or I am just unlucky.

By the way, DSM7 is not available for this NAS; so there is nothing to deal with it. And I am also not using DSM as I directly boot to debian.

So I made some more test. My DOM finally "died" :(

This morning the NAS was not booting, with no message from the serial port; even after 10 minutes.
Tonight, I turned it on again and got immediately this message:
Intel (R) Granite Well Platform Copyright (C) 1999-2011 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved. Product Name : GRANITE WELL Processor : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D2701 @ 2.13GHz Current Speed : 2.12 GHz Total Memory : 4096 MB Intel BLDK Version : Tiano-GraniteWell (Allegro 0.2.15) ------------------------- Miscellaneous Info ------------------------- Memory Ref Code Version : 1.00 CDV Ref Code Version : 0.9.0-1 P-Unit Firmware Version : P-Unit Location in Flash : 0xFFFB0000 P-Unit Location in RAM : 0xBF6F0000 No of SATA ports available : 6 No of SATA ports enabled : 6 ------------------------- Press F10 in 5 seconds to list all boot options Any other key to active boot... Press F10 in 4 seconds to list all boot options Any other key to active boot... Press F10 in 3 seconds to list all boot options Any other key to active boot... Press F10 in 2 seconds to list all boot options Any other key to active boot... Press F10 in 1 seconds to list all boot options Any other key to active boot... Enumerating boot devices ... done. Boot Options : ------------------------- [ 1 ] - EFI Internal Shell ------------------------- Boot from----> 1 Booting from EFI Internal Shell [Fv(30D9ED01-38D2-418A-90D5-C561750BF80F)/FvFile(C57AD6B7-0515-40A8-9D21-551652854E37)] EFI Shell version 2.30 [1.0] Current running mode 1.1.2 map: Cannot find required map name. Press ESC in 5 seconds to skip startup.nsh, any other key to continue. Press ESC in 4 seconds to skip startup.nsh, any other key to continue. Press ESC in 3 seconds to skip startup.nsh, any other key to continue. Press ESC in 2 seconds to skip startup.nsh, any other key to continue. Press ESC in 1 seconds to skip startup.nsh, any other key to continue. Shell>

The message map: Cannot find required map name. is exactly what people got in this thread.

Booting from the front USB port on my flash drive, then plugging the DOM, I can see:
[ 101.376021] usb 2-1: new full-speed USB device number 2 using uhci_hcd [ 101.543057] usb 2-1: not running at top speed; connect to a high speed hub [ 101.600061] usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=f400, idProduct=f400, bcdDevice= 1.00 [ 101.608258] usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3 [ 101.615409] usb 2-1: Product: Diskstation [ 101.619445] usb 2-1: Manufacturer: Synology [ 101.623643] usb 2-1: SerialNumber: 120809d135211e [ 101.631197] usb-storage 2-1:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected [ 101.637949] scsi host8: usb-storage 2-1:1.0 [ 102.661110] scsi 8:0:0:0: Direct-Access Synology Diskstation 1.0 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2 [ 102.669741] sd 8:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0 [ 102.679178] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdc] 250880 512-byte logical blocks: (128 MB/123 MiB) [ 102.689095] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off [ 102.696170] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdc] Asking for cache data failed [ 102.701676] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through [ 102.914148] sdc: sdc1 sdc2 [ 102.917392] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI disk
It is now recognized as USB1 (full speed), and read speed gives:
hdparm -t /dev/sdc /dev/sdc: Timing buffered disk reads: 4 MB in 4.28 seconds = 957.50 kB/sec
which is now very slow...

So the symptoms I described before were just because the DOM was dying... (boot delayed by 2 minutes, even if the DOM was still detected as USB2).

Now it is "died", I put it in quotes because it is still usable by linux (at low speed). Unfortunately NAS BIOS seems to ignore it. Maybe it only look devices in the usb2.0 hub; or it does not have code to handle usb1 devices...

I am also wondering what happened to the chip to downgrade itself from usb2 to usb1.

@Elextrixman: same results with or without cell coin. No need to check the time it takes to read the DOM. Seeing it as an usb full speed device (usb1) is sufficient to know it won't work on the NAS.

If I have time I will try a chip replacement; I will let you know. For the moment I will continue with my USB flash disk.

Last edited:
Thank you guys to help me find out the problem, I'm sharing some experience how I solved this problem.

To make a long story short:

After USB controller chip drops to 12Mb/s
I cannot find any replacement chip on the market, then I'm use the heat gun and flux on the UT165 chip, just warm up it to re-soldering it and clean up the flux after that. then the USB chip is works again, it's back to 480Mb/s and my NAS able to boot.

So I think the USB chip is not damaged, maybe just some pins does not solid soldering on the board.

SCR-20240116-umzg.png
SCR-20240116-umxi.png
SCR-20240111-efhl.png

Hi,
Thanks for your experience! I still haven't tried to repair mine; I will try your method before replacing the chip...

Needs a eDom. Or if you are good at soldering, just replace the controller. I fix many of these in my shop.
-- post merged: --

Needs a eDom. Or if you are good at soldering, just replace the controller. I fix many of these in my shop. But need the old one to copy the firmware over.

Read the Edom on pc/. If it takles more then 10secs to read. Controller is bad on it. When booting should have 2 options in menu. Yours only shows 1. The default. Syno 2 is the eDom. And not reading it. Replace UT148 and done
I have also found my way onto this thread whilst trying to find a fix for my DS1513+ that has all the symptoms of a bad controller chip.

I have tried to follow-along with all the helpful information on here, but I am stuck with a couple of questions:

There is a recommendation to 'read the edom on a pc' and see how long it takes to read. I am not sure how to do that? I have connected it to a windows PC, it shows as a drive and I can see the drive partitions, but I can't see how to 'see how long it takes to read'. Can someone help me on that one please?

Also, in terms of a fix, I am not confident that I would do a good enough job on replacing the chip, so I would need to get someone else to do that, which will cost... I did find a few listings on ebay for "1PCS ATP 8GB 9-Pin USB Flash Drive Disk On Module DOM USB (Big 9PIN)". Would I be able to just swap out this board? It seems from what some people are saying I don't have to reflash the chip if I put a new one on. Does that mean that I wouldn't have to flash a new board?

I'll be really happy if I can get this NAS back up and running. Like other people on here, I have 10+ years' worth of files that I still want to be able to access, and I don't want to have to spring for a new NAS if there is a perfectly good fix for the one I have. (If I can get it back up and running I will take the advice to replace the PSU whilst I have it all taken apart.)

Thank you guys to help me find out the problem, I'm sharing some experience how I solved this problem.

To make a long story short:

After USB controller chip drops to 12Mb/s
I cannot find any replacement chip on the market, then I'm use the heat gun and flux on the UT165 chip, just warm up it to re-soldering it and clean up the flux after that. then the USB chip is works again, it's back to 480Mb/s and my NAS able to boot.

So I think the USB chip is not damaged, maybe just some pins does not solid soldering on the board.

View attachment 14425View attachment 14426View attachment 14427
How did you do the read speed test on the board? I am trying to test mine, to see if that is the problem. Thanks!

Hi,
First of all, if you can read the dom on a computer, make a backup of it!

I don't know windows, but it should be easy to check if the dom is discovered as an usb 1 or an usb 2 device. If it is seen as usb 1, it is probably "dead" (in the point of view of your nas).

If you are not confident with soldering, buy a new one and restore your backup on it.

Another solution is to find a "compatible" usb flash disk. Check in this thread you will find information on it. What you need is a flash disk which allows you to change PID and VID. I used for example a transcent jetflash. You will have to restore your backup on the flash drive. Then you can plug this usb flash drive on the front usb port of your nas (and remove the internal dom).
Last advise, use a temporary VM to install all tools for modifying the flash drive. Tools seem to have a lot of virus trojan etc.

Hi,
First of all, if you can read the dom on a computer, make a backup of it!

I don't know windows, but it should be easy to check if the dom is discovered as an usb 1 or an usb 2 device. If it is seen as usb 1, it is probably "dead" (in the point of view of your nas).

If you are not confident with soldering, buy a new one and restore your backup on it.

Another solution is to find a "compatible" usb flash disk. Check in this thread you will find information on it. What you need is a flash disk which allows you to change PID and VID. I used for example a transcent jetflash. You will have to restore your backup on the flash drive. Then you can plug this usb flash drive on the front usb port of your nas (and remove the internal dom).
Last advise, use a temporary VM to install all tools for modifying the flash drive. Tools seem to have a lot of virus trojan etc.
Thanks!

I pulled an old raspberry pi out of the drawer and managed to follow Slemke's instructions on how to back-up the whole flash and the two partitions. I am now a bit happier :). I haven't used the PI for ages, and kept getting permission errors, but once I had remembered to set the permissions with sudo su all the commands ran fine.

I looked at getting a replacement board and whilst they are cheap they all come direct from China, and with the Luna New Year it looks like it would be a long wait...

I think that I am going to try the USB thumb drive option first. It seems a lot more straightforward than soldering and hopefully will get me back up and running ASAP.

and just in case it helps anyone else...

I ran hdparm -Tt /dev/sda to test the read speed. I got 2 MB in 4.11 secs.

I ran the same on a lexar jump drive and got 1078 MB in 2.00 secs.

I think that this confirms that it is not operating at the necessary speed.

Hi,
I you plugged your dom on the rpy, you can check with dmesg if it is recognized as a usb1 (full speed device) or usb2 (high speed device).

As you have a rpy, an alternative (or temporary) solution is to use it in gadget mode with usb storage. This way, your rpy will be used as an usb flash drive for your nas. Use your backup and remember to use the correct VID/PID.

Hi,
I you plugged your dom on the rpy, you can check with dmesg if it is recognized as a usb1 (full speed device) or usb2 (high speed device).

As you have a rpy, an alternative (or temporary) solution is to use it in gadget mode with usb storage. This way, your rpy will be used as an usb flash drive for your nas. Use your backup and remember to use the correct VID/PID.
Thanks. I will give that a try.

I know that this is not my thread, but without it I wouldn't have been able to get my DS1513+ up and running again.

It took me quite a bit of time to get my head around all the information, so I am hoping that I might help the next poor soul who gets here from a Google search, by laying out what worked for me. Of course YMMV!

After over 10 years of service my DS1513+ finally got the blinking BLOD and failed to boot. Not only do I have the DS1513+ I also have a DX 153 that only really works with these old NAS drives – so I wasn’t just in for the cost of one device.

This was my route to getting it fixed.

I pulled out the daughter board and hooked it up to an old Raspberry Pi that I had kicking about (by cutting up an old USB cable and attaching the 4 wires the correct pins on the flash board).

I noticed that whilst I could access the data on the chip, it was incredibly slow: I ran hdparm -Tt /dev/sda to test the read speed. I got 2 MB in 4.11 secs. I ran the same on a lexar jump drive and got 1078 MB in 2.00 secs.

As it says further up this thread apparently, this is what happens, after 10,000 cycles the chip starts to malfunction and whilst readable is running at USB 1 speed – which is too slow for the NAS to boot from.

I used the Raspberry PI to dd clone the 3 images that were on the chip, just in case. Again as it says above, apparently these are specific to each NAS with MAC addresses etc limiting functionality if you don't have 'your' image.

I looked at getting a new chip, but my soldering is bad and a local company wanted GBP £50 to solder it for me – a lot of money for 5 mins work, plus the cost of me getting the chip in the first place.

So, I dug around in my drawers and found an old PNY thumb drive that happened to have a Phison Controller chip (I have no idea if this is important, but I know each chip needs a specific utility to flash it), used MPALL to change the VID and PID both to F400 (I also changed the name of the drive but I don’t think that’s important), I then used the RPY to create 3 partitions on to which I flashed the 3 image files that I had made.

It didn’t work to start with, so I re-flashed the images. I got them in the correct order this time (SDA1, SDA2, SDA) because the NAS booted fine. FWIW I plugged the USB into one of the motherboard USB ports (the ones on the side at the back and not the bottom).

Everything is back up and running fine, no data loss and despite a lot of hours trying to work this out, the fix was done using stuff that I had lying around. I did have to buy a new CMOS battery, but hey!

Following the advice on here, the next thing to do is to source a new PSU because these have a limited life and can start to send out-of-range voltages, I will look into getting one of those because if I can get another 10 years out of this thing I will be a very happy guy.

I hope that this helps the next person searching for a fix.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.